Welcome to the InsightFarm Innovation HotHouse

Innovations come and go – capturing our attention and personalizing the future that is unfolding before our very eyes. Some innovations make a huge splash and disappear in the blink of an eye. Others unfold in a slow burn and melt into the fabric of our lives. How are we to know as marketers what innovations are really storming the market and which are just hype? And, of those innovative products, which ones will be most likely to stick, grow, and develop into mainstays of the economy? Finally, how can Innovators better measure ideas before they finalize them, to make sure they exhibit the same strengths as successful introductions before they are introduced? The InsightFarm Innovation HotHouse is designed to answer these questions and fuel Innovators with knowledge to help them grow big ideas.

What does the InsightFarm Innovation HotHouse do?

First –
the InsightFarm Innovation HotHouse is a Marketplace Monitor. We use continuous collection of consumer noticeability of new products as they enter the market. These Consumer Noticeable Innovations become the platform for further analysis.

Second – the InsightFarm Innovation HotHouse measures consumer awareness of innovations that are noticeable, the marketplace conversion potential of these products, and a modeled success index based on 18 diagnostic questions designed to assess a product’s perceived ability to meet consumer needs from three standpoints: 1) using the product itself; 2) using the product to produce or create something else or an experience; 3) sharing the product or information about the product to have experiences with others. These three dimensions measure the product’s ability to stretch beyond functional dynamics and become part of the fabric of life.

Third – the InsightFarm Innovation HotHouse measures for Modeled Interest (part of Marketplace Conversion Potential) and the Success Index can be collected for products that are not on the market yet – those in the concept stage. These measures help Innovators make adjustments to new product concepts prior to introduction and better understand the likelihood of success.

Finally – the InsightFarm Innovation HotHouse is a personal experience. Kelley Styring, Consumer Strategist, Author, and creator of the InsightFarm Innovation HotHouse, personally uses and shares her experiences with the top scoring products in her blog: The InsightFarm Innovation HotHouse Blog. The blog helps “bring to life” the Innovations measured and offers one real person’s experience as a template for understanding the broader consumer measurements and an expert opinion to help interpret the consumer measures provided.

Please contact Kelley Styring at: kelley.styring@insightfarm.com for more information on the InsightFarm Innovation HotHouse. The InsightFarm Innovation HotHouse is powered by C&R Research, Chicago, Il.

InsightFarm Innovation HotHouse: the Measures

Consumer Noticeable Products: Items achieving a noticeable level of mentions in an open ended question about “new products” on the market enter the InsightFarm Innovation HotHouse measurement system. All items reviewed are Consumer Noticeable Products.
Initial Awareness: Consumer Noticeable Products are presented to consumers and aided awareness measured for the first period after they are noticed. This is Initial Awareness. The product will continue to be presented in subsequent periods until a minimum awareness base of 75 is reached. Then diagnostic data across waves is combined for analysis. Initial Awareness is not impacted by subsequent waves.

Conversion Score: A composite measure modeled from purchase interest, perceived popularity, and intention to recommend.

Domino Analysis: A weighted composite of 18 diagnostic measures compiled into three outputs including “consume”, “produce”, and “share” dimensions. An index to the average of other composite scores is reported. An index above 120 is considered strong.

Success Index: Total weighted composite score from the Domino Analysis. This total score incorporates the 18 diagnostic measures’ impact on interest, perceived popularity and intention to recommend. An index to the average of other composite scores is reported. An index above 120 is considered strong.

Monday, January 19, 2009

iPhone



The guy next to me on an early morning flight from Hartford to Atlanta probably thought I was staring at his junk. It just so happened that was where he was resting his iPhone, watching a movie, while glancing up every so often to the in-flight movie, creating his own little picture-in-picture show while also checking me out checking out his crotch, which I wasn’t, which may or may not disappoint him, but probably not because how could you be disappointed ever again if you have an iPhone? I don’t have one, so each day should be packed with disappointment. Maybe that’s the solution, the golden ticket, the magic bean, the little pill mother gives you to make it all okay or maybe just bigger. Maybe -- or maybe not or -- maybe not just yet.

A few days earlier my family and I walked into the glowing womb of the magical fruit – The Apple Store – where the shiny, cool people work who used to work at Starbucks. I want to hate it. I struggle with technology, all of its promise of enablement and glory wrapped in a web of indecipherable recipes and dog piles of rules that suffocate my very being. It’s a good thing my husband is a computer scientist because I am a heavy, heavy, super hostile user of technology that could lay waste the entire Geek Squad with my wrath about once a week. Technology eats my lunch almost every day – leaving me hungry and grumpy, like the skinny girls who never eat, only I’m not skinny. Apple should be my savior, but it scares me even more than the crippling co-dependence of my self-destructive technology partner – the PC, that I want to beat with a small club.

With an Apple, I’m afraid I’ll create a document that no one will understand, speak a language no one will know, reach out to others only to clutch at thin air and leave the party ashamed – ashamed to have thought about changing from a PC, shirking this very basis of my infrastructure. And yet, in The Apple Store everything is pulsing with life. Like Starbucks, only better. A wave of lust washes over me. It’s achy and dirty and feels so, so good.

We are ostensibly here to buy my son an iPod Touch for his birthday. We are already a 3 iPod family – this our only foray into the orchard thus far. My son is turning 13 and is my iPod manager, which is apt given his advanced relationship with technology in comparison to mine. I buy the iTunes cards and we split the funds 50/50 as payout for services rendered.

He dives head first into the Touch and minutes later is making it his bitch. I tentatively turn to a table littered with iPhone 3Gs. They murmur a soft come-on. “Try it. Just a taste. It won’t hurt you. You’ll love it. One bump. Go on . . .” All this pulses from the glowing little temple of promises. I pick it up. Lighter than I expect and smooth to the touch, it fits in my hand as if my hand were meant to grip this thing its entire life. My fingers mimic the television commercial, sliding and activating things like a calendar and clocks showing the time in places I’ve never been. My clumsy, grown-up thumbs finger out misspelled appointments I do not have. Icons flash and bloom on-screen fantasies I didn’t know I had. My nipples could cut glass. I do not blink until my husband walks up behind me.

“Buy me one of these for Christmas.” I slur, barely able to work the word center of my brain -- its capacity is so crippled by the overload.

“Why? Will you use it? It’s a great idea if it makes you more efficient.”

“Well . . . I . . .” I can feel the crush aching in my chest.

“You hate AT&T cell service. I think you threatened to loosen the teeth of the last service tech you called.”

“Yeah . . . but . . . look . . .” I poke and poke and poke the special spots and it shimmies all over. It sighs and rests in the afterglow.

“And, people will send emails when you’re out running around somewhere or using the can. That’s why you don’t have a Crackberry now.”

“Oh . . . I . . .but . . .” I feel a cold breeze blowing up my skirt. My poking slows.

“And, can you type on that?” He points to the microscopic key pad.

“Well . . . not yet . . . hmmm. . .” I let it slip from my hand. Like a pebble that was shiny in the river but just a rock when dry, it clatters to the table. People nearby suck in a breath and turn to stare. Steve gently tugs at my elbow.

“Come on. Let’s go. Easy now. There’s a Starbucks around the corner. You’ll feel better. It’s cool enough.”

I stagger, mute, into the mall traffic gripping this arm that’s given me strength to resist temptation a thousand times. My tether to the earth, manifest in a man of towering strength. I glance over my shoulder at my children, laughing, backlit by the soft glow of the future – one furtive glimpse before they are eclipsed by the Apple Genius going in for the kill. Let’s face it, they never had a chance.

The data:

The iPhone was one of the strongest items to enter the hothouse in terms of awareness, scoring 90% in its first period of measurement. The conversion score is also high with conversion potential near one third of the total. While the overall domino scores are average, the produce score is driven by highly practical things you do with the device and very high life enjoyment drivers. Let's face it, the thing's a grown up toy that has a useful.





No comments: